BILLINGS MT- The Billings Symphony Orchestra & Chorale (BOS&C) recently received at $25,000 grant from the Tippet Rise Fund of the Sidney E. Frank Foundation for its Explore Music! program.
Explore Music! is the music education and community engagement program of the BSO&C created to assist in sharing symphonic music with as many people as possible and in cultivating a lifelong appreciation for the performing arts.
Explore Music! programs reach tens of thousands of children, youth, adults, and seniors each year. By eliminating price and taking the programs to participants/audiences, the BSO&C reaches beyond the stage at the Alberta Bair Theater and into the communities in the greater Billings area.
The $25,000 grant will expand the already successful outreach program and bring symphony concerts and programs to more Montanans in town across Stillwater and Carbon counties.
Activities the grant will support include:
• Musicians-in-Schools – these programs are designed to engage students by giving them an opportunity to experience a chamber ensemble in a small group setting.
• Rural Rhythms concerts – community chamber music concerts that will be free and open to the public. These concerts are an excellent way to introduce residents in the area to high quality chamber music.
• Adventures in Music Day – four musicians, one from each instrument family, will visit a selected school to give music demonstrations and information on orchestral instruments. Students will then be given the opportunity to try out several instruments of their choice (provided in collaboration with Eckroth Music Store) for a hands-on experience.
• Family Concert of Peter and the Wolf – this will include a full-school concert performance in Red Lodge. Area school children will be invited to ride a free bus to the performance.
• Master Clinics – one of the most effective means of musical development, these Master Clinics will be held during a high school band class. Our musicians will work with sections of the band to give guidance and expertise on improvement of their performance.
The Sidney E. Frank Foundation is a private grant-making foundation that provides funding mainly in the areas of arts, education, and environment. Through the Tippet Rise Fund of the Sidney E. Frank Foundation, trustees Cathy and Peter Halstead support arts, arts education, community organizations and emergency services in Montana and Colorado.
“With the help of the Tippet Rise grant, we enrich lives for residents in Carbon and Stillwater counties for the underserved communities. We are proud to partner with Tippet Rise for the sixth year.” Education Director, Candy Holzer.
The Billings Symphony Orchestra & Chorale (BSO&C) is the largest professional orchestra in Montana. Established in 1951, the BSO&C strives to enrich lives through music. Consisting of over 135 musicians, the BSO&C serves a regional population of 400,000 people located throughout South Central and Eastern Montana, and Northeastern Wyoming by introducing music to children, youth, adults and seniors through Explore Music! the BSO&C’s community engagement program.