Dr. Steve Running will be presenting a report on how climate change will affect Montana in the years to come. It will be presented on June 6th at Petro Hall on the MSUB campus. Dr. Running is an author of 270 scientific articles, two books, and is a former professor of Ecology at the University of Montana.
Dr. Running was one of the lead chapter writers on a 2007 report by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change team. The report, which provided evidence of global warming being caused by human activities, received a Nobel Prize.
According to Dr. Running, “There may still be some climate denial around. It’s withering bit by bit as the evidence just becomes more obvious to more people. We’ve actually had some amazing successes that we forget about.”
The event will be free and open to the public and will focus on how “Climate Change is affecting the things Montanans care about, such as hunting and fishing, skiing and snowmobiling, farming, and more.”
The event will be part of climate week, which is sponsored by a variety of local organizations. All of the climate weeks events as a part of this initiative are listed below.
Monday, June 5, 2023
· 12:00 PM: Join Steve Running at Downtown Rotary, Northern Hotel.
· 2:00 or 3:00 PM: Energy Panel (Venue TBD). Coordinated by Mary Fitzpatrick at YVCC and Katie Spence at MEIC.
Tuesday, June 6, 2023
· 11:00 AM: Visit St. Andrews Community Garden, followed by lunch and an informal session with Steve Running.
· 6:00 PM: Reception and Social Hour – Glacier Room at MSUB. A chance to meet Steve Running!
· 7:00 PM: The Main Event at Petro Hall, 1500 University Dr. Moderated by Tom Towe, Introduced by Chuck Tooley.
Wednesday, June 7, 2023
· 10:00 AM: Video recording of an interview with Steve Running by Mike Penfold for Our Montana on Community Channel 7.
· 2:00 PM: Program on Climate Change in Columbus, MT.
· 5:30 to 8:30 PM: Documentary screening “Youth v Gov” by Forward MT at Pub Station.
Thursday, June 8, 2023
· 3:00 PM: Four short videos session (Venue TBD). Coordinated by Lori Byron.
· 6:00 to 9:00 PM: Steve Running at Library Foundation Dinner, “Food for Thought”.