The first day of the autumn equinox starts on Thursday, and Tuesday saw temps in the low 60s. It may be a while before Montana and Billings start to see consistent cool temperatures during the day. The weather channel predicts temperatures the week of October 8 in Billings will reach the 80s by next Wednesday.

The National Weather Service in Billings predicts temperatures throughout the week are expected to be anywhere between the 60s to mid-70s, with several chances of rain predicted for the week. On Tuesday, there is a 20% chance of rain that will likely hit before noon. There is a 40% chance of precipitation on Wednesday and Thursday night, a 40 % chance of rain before midnight, and a 50% chance of rainfall on Thursday night. Mornings and nights will cool down compared to the day, with lows between the mid-40s and 50s.

According to the NWS’s Weather prediction center, the outlook for September 24 through September 28 is likely to have above-normal temperatures for most of Montana. Temperatures are expected to be anywhere from 60-80% higher than normal. The precipitation outlook is also expected to be 50-90% lower than normal. Average temps for September 20 in the past have been close to 60 degrees with less than an inch of rain. The highest temps on record were in 1966 at 72.5 degrees. The lowest temperature was 34.5 degrees in 1983.

NOW Data for September predicted the mean normals of temperature and precipitation. The monthly precipitation normal is 1.36 inches of rain with a max temp normal of 74.3 degrees and a minimum temp of 48.6 degrees. The average monthly temp normal is estimated to be about 61.4 degrees. Based on the data from the prediction center, temperatures for the month are likely to be slightly warmer than normal.